Sunday, May 16, 2010

I Have Not Met A Preschooler Who Didn't Like This Monster

Recommended for grades Pre-K to 1

“Did you bring the monster book?!” This is the first question I’m asked by the preschoolers I read to through the volunteer program, Ready Readers. These 3, 4, and 5 year olds ask that after every other book I read to them. They also try to sneak a peek into my reading bag asking “Can we read the monster book now?”

When the time finally comes, the preschoolers lift themselves slightly from their sitting positions to watch and cheer as I pull out Go Away, Big Green Monster by Ed Emberley (Little Brown).

This book is highly underrated with its colorful die cut illustrations against a black background. Page by page the book progressively creates a monster face, focusing on colors, simple adjectives, and parts of the face. The sentences are short and the illustrations give context clues. With very easy prompting, all the preschoolers are able to help me read the book, first watching the monster appear and then watching the monster vanish or as they put it, “It disappeared!” By the end, the monster is completely gone and the students have the gratification of knowing they had the power to make the monster go away (which is funnier still, because they can’t wait to see it each time)!

No comments:

Post a Comment