Sunday, October 31, 2010

Putting The “Boo!” Back In PictureBOOk

In honor of Halloween, I’m offering a few of my favorite picturebook reads that make for some faBOOlous reading throughout the year.

Frankenstein Makes A Sandwich by Adam Rex

2nd grade to 4th grade

I remember the first time I picked up this picturebook, I was working at Borders. Almost right away, I started laughing out-load. The poems throughout this book go about describing a particular episode in a famous monster’s life. From Frankenstein, with his rude, food throwing neighbors to the Phantom of the Opera, who can’t get “It’s a Small World” out of his head. Rex’s illustrations only add to the comedy of it all.

Companion: Frankenstein Takes the Cake

Bats At The Beach by Brian Lies

Preschool to 1st grade

The illustrations in this book, present some very furry and friendly (dare, I say cute?) looking bats. This was another treasure I discovered while working at Borders. I thought this book was such a great read aloud choice, especially with its simple and not overly done rhyming, that I picked it right away for Tiny Tots Storytime at the store. The book is about a night at the beach for bats, with all the typical activities the reader might experience on a trip to the beach, so it is a relatable story—hmmm, sounds like a good book for writer’s workshop.

Companion: Bats At The Library and Bats At The Ballgame

The Monster At The End Of This Book (Starring Lovable, Furry Old Grover)

by Jon Stone

Preschool

I really do wish this book was more popular—Grover makes a lovable and adorable protagonist. The great part about this book is that it’s interactive. Grover is trying to avoid the monster he’s heard about at the end of the book and asks the reader not to turn the page. But, who could resist the temptation to find out what is at the end of this book? So, while giggles will ensue from the reader, Grover becomes increasingly distressed and even tries to barricade the next page by building brick walls and the like. Who is the monster at the end of the book? Well, I only see Grover…

Companion: Another Monster At The End Of This Book



Lies, B. (2006). Bats at the beach. Boston, MA.: Houghton Mifflin.

Rex, A. (2006). Frankenstein makes a sandwich. Orlando, FL.: Harcourt.

Stone, J. (2004). The Monster at the end of this book. New York, NY: Golden Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment