Sunday, December 23, 2012

An eReader a Day

Within the last two weeks, I have introduced my 4th and 5th graders to NookColors. They went from learning the basics to requesting more books be put on the Nooks. It was shockingly quiet in the library during their class times, especially with it being so close to winter break. I'm not going to lie, I planned it that way. But, I never imagined the complete captivation these eReaders would cause.

One of the best parts about their use of the Nooks, is that they have to partner up to share them. There was very minimal complaining because they didn't want to risk losing any time with the Nooks. Some students who don't usually work well with others, were willing or even volunteering to partner up with other classmates (good confidence builder). Students were reinforcing the skills they've learned by reminding each other how to complete a function or what not to do with the eReader.

The most popular titles I purchased for the Nooks so far, are The Third Wheel by Jeff Kinney and Pete the Cat: Four Groovy Buttons by Eric Litwin. Yes, my 4th and 5th graders loved hearing Pete the Cat being read to them. A lot of them wanted to know what other books could be read to them, with the 'read to me' feature I mentioned last post.

I've decided to let them have time with the Nooks during checkout days by making an eReader center. This way it allows continual exposure to the eReader, encourages reading, and responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment