Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Let's Make It a Camp Out!

At the end of every year with my religious school kindergarten class, we have a "camp out" where they make a paper bonfire, I put an LED tea light in the middle and we "roast" marshmallows hanging out on the floor.  They LOVE it!!

This year, I'm bringing the experience to my older students in the library.  The bonfires will already be made, but the lights in the library will be off, students will get to chill on the floor, and either eat popcorn or make s'mores while listening to scary stories.

I've decided to try some audio books, like Alvin Schwartz's collection of Scary Stories and David Lubar's The Curse of the Campfire Weenies, and Other Warped and Creepy Tales.  I'll most likely provide my students who need something to keep their hands busy with activities that won't take away too much concentration from the audio.  I have really emphasized listening centers and fluency all year and hope this will provide a nice celebration of their effort to work with audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment